December 12, 2011

NYC Bound Y'all!


Before I start to hyperventilate I thought I would jot a few notes about what I have just done. See I am not a huge risk taker. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a sissy-la-la type of chick, but not exactly Joan of Arc either. Well I just book a flight to the Big Apple for the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators Winter Conference 2012 next month!
 Holy…..crap! I’m going to NYC, the Big Apply, the Main Stage, the City, the Grand Gala of hub-bubs! If I were Catholic I would have my rosary in hand praying to each bead right now.

I’ve never been to New York. It’s always been kind of a fantasy to see a show on Broadway, to have official New York style cheesecake IN New York, the sit in Central Park and watch the world walk by… Well, now my little fantasy is coming true. And I am so totally freaking out!

I signed up with the SCBWI several months ago as a forward movement of my writing career. A step in the right direction, a commitment to it, a way of telling myself “I belong” to the wonderful writing community.

When I got the email about the conference a couple weeks ago my mouth actually began to salivate. I looked at my measly bank account (severely sickly looking after DH’s 6 month layoff) and nearly cried. “I wanna go… “ I kept telling myself. Sure it’s expensive and sure we can’t really afford this around Christmas, but gosh darnnit this was an investment to my career!

I declared to DH that my bonus from the day job was going to pay for my trip to NYC for the SCBWI conference. No choice in the matter, just told him. It’s MY bonus after all! Selfish? Maybe. Do I care? Nope. Like I said…an investment into my career. These conferences, I understand, are gateways to priceless information and by golly this conference would be dealing with the very subject matter I write!

So here I am. My hands are shaking and my brain has gone numb from the “oh my god – oh my god – oh my god” that keeps running through my head like a hyper-active gerbil on an exercise wheel. If it weren’t so freakin’ cold in my office right now my palms would be sweating! A lot!

I am so very excited to be surrounded by people who are writers, authors, illustrators, and the vibe that is NYC. Part of me, a large part, is also as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. This is huge. It will be a great learning experience and I so look forward to meeting people and maybe even make a few new friends. And hell! The one and only Cassandra Clare will be there! =^)

So Merry Christmas to me and a big self high five for making another step into my career as a writer!

1 comment:

  1. You are going to love NYC.....so many things to see, and the people..so diverse...be sure to go to Strawberry Fields..even if your not a Lennon Fan, it is absolutely an amazing feeling when you are there

    ReplyDelete