October 18, 2011

Feeling a bit....Fever-ish!

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman.
Or so she thinks... until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae...


When I picked up Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning I was not sure what I was expecting, but I think I got something else. I do not mean that in a bad way at all so please don’t take me wrong. I had seen a few of the Fever Series books at Costco and was intrigued. I hunted down Darkfever (since Coscto did not have Book #1) and started reading. I think I was under the impression it was your typical YA fantasy goodie…well it’s not. It was definitely a little more…er…*blush*…mature.

Miss K.M. opens Darkfever with a huge bomb that rocks the world, and planet for that matter, for our main chick MacKayla (Mac). Her older sister, and BFF, is brutally killed while studying abroad in Ireland. After some mourning Mac get’s it in her head to go to the Emerald Isle to bring justice to her sister, Alina. The local investigation was cut off way too quick for Mac’s satisfaction and she wants to avenger her beloved sister by finding her killer and bringing him down in the most satisfying way possible.

This would have been a great plan, but when do things ever work out like you plan? Same deal for little Barbie-doll Mac. She quickly finds herself plunged to her pink lacy bra in a world that is upside-down and inside out from the norm of Southern USA. The world of Fae is quite real and quite deadly, Mac has firsthand experience in this now. Mac's pretty world of sparkly nail polish and lip gloss in suddenly consumed with the hideous Grey Man, the many-mouth-thing, shades that thankfully stick to the darkest shadows, the beautifully deadly V’lane (death-by-sex Fae), and guess what….she is one of the rare few who can see them all! That’s’ right, Mac finds out she is from a long line of folk who are impervious to the glamour’s set by the Fae.

Mac ends up joining forces with the darkly mysterious Jericho Barrons, but she is not sure she can trust him with anything other than maybe helping her to stay alive. He wants the Sinsar Dubh (aka evil dark magic book everyone and their mama is willing to kill for) more than he wants Mac around, but as she is the only one who can sense the tome, he keeps her around. On the side Barrons even starts to teach Ms. Lane how to possibly protect herself from the darker Fae.

I thought this book was really great! It was fairly well paced and I was quickly lost in the world of Fae Miss K.M. spilled out for me. The darker elements of the Faery world have always fascinated me so I found the world of Darkfever easy to escape into.

Mac is your typical pampered little princess type, which actually kinda pissed me off to be honest. Through most of the book she was a permanent resident of Denial Way and it began to get old. Toward the end she started coming around and grew some figurative juevos. I am really interested to see how she evolves in future books. 

Jericho Barrons is hiding something…okay so he is hiding a LOT. I am dying to find out what. He is dark, mysterious, and really bad-ass. Three of my favorite ingredients for a hot guy by the way. There is more to him than what Miss K.M. has let on so far and will keep me reading.

The overall content was not too adult, but there were a few scenes with the aforementioned “death-by-sex” Fae, V’lane, that took me off guard. Made me blush fuchsia to my hairline it did! Anyway, you will just have to read to find out what I mean…*wink*.

Did Darkfever rock my world? A really good tremble with hopes of “the big one”…7.5 on Richter scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment