October 02, 2011

Took me by surprise!

Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart. Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last. Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone. Well, sort of. Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost. It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit. As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.

Shade was an impulse buy at one of my frequent stops by Borders while they sold off their store stock. The cover intrigued me and the jacket blurb even more so. When I finally picked up Shade I could not put the blasted thing down.

Jeri Smith-Ready slaps you upside the head right off the bat and in less than a quarter of the way through you are already bawling like a little girl who lost her favorite teddy in an oil slick. Totally ambushed by snot and tears sort of cry.


The premise of Shade was not something I had ever read before and I was completely drawn in by it's uniqueness. I was not sure if I would dig it, but I was drawn in by the nose. The plot was believable and the twist and turn were thrilling.


Then we have Logan and Zach... Let me just savor these boys for a moment. Okay, I'm back. Both of these Shade boys are totally hot in different ways so you will have trouble picking a side. Aura, not surprisingly, is torn between the two. Logan represents her lifetime of friendship and trust, but Zachary brings an element of a possible future that is all too tempting. The triangle here is beyond heartbreaking and I loved every minute of it.


After reading Shade I was not at all surprised by the HUGE TeamKilt uprising on Twitter. It is a phenomena all in its own accord and I highly recommend anyone to try and resist Shade's pull.

Did Shade rock my world? Yes (I say rather breathlessly)! An 8.9 on the Richter scale baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment